Saturday, June 28, 2008

Weekly Shenanigans

I am so distracted.

The girls were all gone for this week. They went down to Tasmania, and kept us updated daily on their fun-having. Benjamin and I found several ways to entertain ourselves, though.

We remodeled the garage: we bought a few desks from "Salvos" (salvation army) and re-arranged everything. We disassembled the enormous desk that formerly held Tamara's and Benjamin's computers, and put each computer on its own desk. We put the TV out of the corner and on its own TV stand. The couches are against the wall, but are light enough to move them in front of the TV if we feel like it.
The side of the garage in which I stay stayed relatively unchanged. I got an amazing desk, but other than that, nothing else is different.

I went job-hunting. I dropped resumés off with the three nearby hospitals, and got a variety of responses. The first hospital (the closest to the house) seemed open to the idea, but they didn't think that they could afford to fit another worker, even part-time, into the payroll. The second hospital (which has the worst-rated ER in the state of victoria) told me that I was stupid and should check online and really not even bother sending in a resume because I was stupid and should look online and why was I still there and I should go away. I came back to the car a little bit grumpy after that. The third OR I looked into seemed almost ready to hire me on the spot. The only thing they needed to work out is my work visa, but they were extremely optimistic and kind.
The head nurse told me "I'm almost 100% certain that we can use you around here. You'll hear from us in a few days."
That was a God thing.

Meanwhile, I've been practicing driving on the wrong side of the road. It's not too hard. The hardest parts are A) parking lots, and B) the rear-view mirror being on the left instead of the right. Other than that, I drove reasonably safely. Both Blackwood parents were impressed, aside from the occasional turning on the windshield washers instead of the turn signal. Very embarrassing.

Next week the girls are gone again for 3 days to Sydney. I'm sure Benji and I can find something to do to entertain ourselves..............

;-)

The cart that Maria uses to deliver her junk mail is the most decrepit thing ever. Benji and I spent most of wednesday laughing until we cried at it as we did her route for her.
~Thomas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that 2nd hospital is meeann. mean mean mean. 2nd is the best, my foot :P and good for u attempting to drive. i'd never drive outside of the states unless i had to D:

Charity said...

hahaha

It is so much fun having you around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

truly, truly.

but now I'm just going to turn around and talk to you in person instead of this silly internet thing.