Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why don't we call it "The US of A" more often?

So I'm back home in Indy again.

Way too much has happened to put it all in writing, for you southern-hemisphere types, so I'll try to hit the highlights.

We had a pretty insane post-Christmas week. We did lots of traveling and visiting people. I had a total of five Christmases, including the little celebration in Australia. As you might have guessed, I made a pretty decent haul.

Some things are really weird about being back. Some things are normal. Either way, lots of random things have happened and I'll list as many things as I can come up with. If I think of more (and I'm sure I will) I'll just put them in the next post(s).
1) Most of the American expressions sound weird coming from people other than me. "Trash can" is probably the worst. I don't know why, but hearing other people say "put it in the trash can" makes me snicker every time. It doesn't matter that I've been saying it on and off for the past six months (and for 19 years before that); hearing it said aloud (and especially seeing it written down) just tickles my funnybone.
2) Driving on the other side of the road wasn't hard at all to go back to. I still have moments where I suddenly panic and wonder which side I'm supposed to be on, but overall it was a very easy transition. I still consistently wash the windshield instead of turning on the turn signal, though. That will change soon, I hope.
3) David is HUGE! At the airport I hugged him and nearly jumped back because I thought I had accidentally hugged a stranger. He probably grew six inches since I've been gone. Scary stuff.
4) The brothers are just the same as always. And then they're totally different. My relationship with them has both weakened and strengthened. We used to be able to talk about nothing and yet still know what was going on in each others' lives, because we were so close to each other. Now we have to learn to talk, which I suppose is good. It's all part of growing up, or so I'm told.
William is excelling in school (like usual) and living away from home (totally different). He's dating (still different to me, even though it started before I left). David is a natural at all things musical (the same) but now he's actually getting recognition for it (Woo!). He is the Tuba player in the high school pep band and loving it... and he's only in eighth grade. He's also in the high school jazz band, and boy does he get into it. Closing his eyes and swaying with the music, he's a natural.
5) Mom and Dad are doing well. They're very happy to see me home, and very interested in my plans for my future.
Profe posted in her blog that we as Americans are defined by our future so much more than our past. I agree wholeheartedly, and I find this trend in myself, probably because I am thoroughly American. Heck, I even play the harmonica! You can't get any more American than that.
So since my plans are hazy at best, I find myself minorly stressing out from time to time. I'm praying for wisdom for the future and humility to deal with my natural desire to control everything.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I apologize for the less-than-expedient "homecoming post." When I started this blog, I anticipated using it to keep my US friends and family up-to-speed with my travels abroad. Truth be told, it never occurred to me that I'd have to keep it going when I got back, because all of my "abroad" friends would want regular updates in my life back in the US.
International travel complicates things...
But boy is it worth it.

2 comments:

Tamara Rose said...

Nice post, Tom Tom. Thanks for updating us "southern-hemisphere types". :)
You're in our prayers. God bless
In Him
T2

Jason U. said...

Harmonica. I want to see you do that!